Friends are powerful things. In fact, after parents, I think friends are the most powerful influencing force on the planet. I think we do what our friends do. If our friends create businesses, we get inspired to make our own business. If our friends play golf, we play golf. If they get married, we will. If our friends have kids, we'll soon be having kids.
What is the punch line? Make the right friends. I think this is one of the most important decisions you get to make throughout your entire life. For the most part you can choose who you hang out with. It's so important to hang out with people you want to be like.
Here are some metrics to judge your friendships on:
- Does this person excite me when I am with them?
- Do I enjoy my time with this person?
- Do I aspire to be more like this friend?
- Is this friend doing something I think is amazing with their life?
- Does this friend have a skill or talent that I think is just magically awesome?
- Are the things we do in this friendships admirable and rewarding?
- Do we grow as people or make some kind of progress when we are together?
- Do we give each other honest feedback on our actions?
- Do you feel like a better person after spending time with this person?