- Are 20% about leadership [looking outward], 80% about management [looking inward]
- Take responsibility for the progress, product, and team happiness
- Can Handle pressure
- Can do multi-step planning and can for see weeks or even months into the future
- Ask more questions then make statements
- Work 20% more then they expect from anyone on the team
- Know when to get out of the way
- Know when to intervene.
- Can approach people and tell them things they don't want to hear in a respectful tactful way
- Can make a single person 2x more productive then they would be by themselves
- Can make a team 10x more productive then if they we're by themselves
- Make the hard decisions no one else wants to make
- It takes a great PM to mentor and teach another great PM.
- Employee's that think PM's are useless have never had a good one.
- I also think that, there are less talented PM's then there are talented engineers or designers. This is ok, I just think it means companies should staff fewer really great PM's and let them drive the projects.
To all the people out there aspiring to be great PM's